Latest News

Andrew's horror novella, 'The Bathtub', is now available.

Sunday 3 April 2016

Inspiration

A couple of nights ago I watched a television programme about England’s stunning Lake District.  The programme explained how the region inspires writers, artists and poets.  That’s led me to ask myself – possibly for the first time - what inspires me to write?  I’ve come up with the following:

  • Snowdonia in North Wales.  It’s an area I love, with its peaks and valleys and natural beauty.  I also have a soft spot for the Scottish Highlands, but because Snowdonia’s towns and villages are closer together and the place has a unique culture I’ve always thought it has an intimacy and atmosphere lacking elsewhere.
  • Ancient stories.  I’ve always loved myths and legends, particularly Celtic stories which I think are more gentle and subtle than the more ‘in yer face’ tales from elsewhere.  Given my taste for both Wales and ancient stories, I suppose it’s not a surprise that I’ve rewritten some stories based on Welsh tales – ‘The Footholder’s Tale’ and ‘The Doe and the Dragon’ are a couple that made it into print, and there are a few more in the pipeline.
  • Richard Laymon.  My all time favourite writer.  His subject matter isn’t always to my taste but his tight style and brilliant characterisation are the best I’ve ever come across and are a lesson to any aspiring writer.  It’s a shame his talent was taken from us before his time.

No comments:

Post a Comment